Greetings from your Basic Needs Center family, we are committed to staying open and supporting our students in need. Circumstances around COVID-19 are changing rapidly and may have impacted your basic needs. Our priority is to ensure that services will continue even if they are remote or accessible in different ways. This webpage will be updated frequently with new resource information.
We recommend our community members with active symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) or those that may have been exposed to a confirmed case, call the Student Health Center at (530)-752-2300 and request an appointment.
- OFFICIAL UC DAVIS COVID-19 UPDATE PAGE
- Here is a growing list of community and campus resources, it is a living document and is updated frequently. Please add any resources that you think might help.
FOOD PANTRY & AGGIE COMPASS BASIC NEEDS CENTER
The PANTRY at the Aggie Compass Center will be CLOSED next week due to the Governor's order to shelter-in place. We are transitioning to weekly service. Sign-up for Basic Needs Update emails to find out when you can sign-up for a Thursday GROCERY BAG drop. The Pantry is closed next week, but we'll be putting grocery bags out for pick-up. If you'd like to receive updates about bag pick-up registration and other basic needs updates, please leave your email at the top right of this page.
If you are a student with an emergency need, ie, lacking adequate nutritious food, homeless, at risk of losing housing, etc. please communicate with us:
COMMUNICATING WITH THE BASIC NEEDS CENTER TEAM
We encourage you to communicate with us,:
FOOD PANTRY & AGGIE COMPASS
Aggie Compass and Food Pantry are considered essential services and will remain available as resources on and off campus. We will be monitoring the situation closely in these next few weeks and will move in alignment with public health and city decisions.
CalFresh application support will still be offered by phone or Zoom.
FREE COMMUNITY MEALS*
- Davis Community Meals, 5:45-6:30pm @ St. Martin's Episcopal Church, 640 Hawthorn Ln.
- Meal service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (to go meals only)
- Grace in Action Lunch and Fellowship, 12:00noon-1:30 pm @ Davis United Methodist Church, 1620 Anderson Rd. (Mon.) & 12:00 noon-1:30pm @ Pole Line Baptist Church, 770 Pole Line Rd. (Fri)
- Meal service on Mondays & Fridays ( to go meals only)
- Faith and Food, 12:00 noon @ Davis Community Church, 412 C St.
- Meal service on Fridays ( to go meals only)
- Yolo Food Bank, 12:00 noon pantry staple bags @ C Street patio
- Distribution Saturday 3/21/20
*All organizations have switched to “to-go meals” ranging from cold sandwiches to clam shell packed microwavable meals. There are free community meals available all days of the week except for Sunday.
- Additional food support can be found in the Davis community:
- Yolo Food Bank has committed to being open during this time and offers food distribution sites in several locations around the City of Davis and in Woodland.
BASIC NEEDS CENTER SERVICES
CASE MANAGEMENT/CRISIS RESOLUTION SERVICES
Case management services are provided to students who are in need of support around their food, housing and financial needs. Resources available include but are not limited to:
- Rental Assistance Grants
- Basic Needs Grants
- Temporary Shelter/Short Term Housing
- Grocery Gift Card Program
- Emergency Swipes Program
- Students are encouraged to communicate via phone or email for support.
- Fruit & Veggie Up! Is suspended until further notice.
Basic Needs Assessments will still be available remotely, please make appointments by phone or email.
- Call 530-752-9254 from 9 am-5 pm, Monday - Friday
- Email email@example.com
OTHER BASIC NEEDS SERVICES
- UC Davis Laptop Loan Program
- To qualify students either:
- Do not have a laptop OR
- Have a laptop that is failing or no longer "works" OR
- Do not have a laptop with necessary features to support distance/online learning, such as a webcam and sound.
- To apply, submit the IET form.
- To qualify students either:
- Cell phones through iFoster, for homeless and/or former foster youth
- Linen/bedding Free Closet - closed until campus reopens
- Basic Necessities and Toiletries Pantry - available in a weekly bag
- The SERA (Student Emergency Relief Aid) winter quarter award application (formerly WeAreAggiePride) has been reopened until March 25. The application can be found here.
- Emergency and Short Term Loan Programs (UC Davis Financial Aid) Students experiencing a temporary shortage of funds may request an Emergency and/or Short-Term loan. Requests are limited to costs related to educational expenses as found in the Cost of Attendance. Apply here.
- Housing Assistance Grants cover deposits necessary to allow individuals to move immediately out of homelessness and to stabilize in permanent housing. Grants can also help students in imminent danger of becoming homeless with rental assistance. Please submit a request for a Basic Needs Resource Plan to apply.
- Basic Needs Grant provides emergency funding to assist students with urgent food and housing needs. Please submit a request for a Basic Needs Resource Plan to apply.
- Parents and Families Grants We are currently offering 100 $500 grants to graduate student parents and families that qualify. These grants require an application.
- The California College Student Emergency Support Fund helps address emergency needs for the state’s low-income college students, including undocumented immigrants, foster youth, and those who are housing insecure.